Parent Page: Prospective Students id: 2455 Active Page: Non-Degree Seeking Special Studentsid:2516

Non-Degree Special Students


An applicant who does not desire to pursue a degree program may seek admission as a Special Student only after advisement from the department housing the program. Graduate College applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from a US accredited college or university.

Special student status is granted under restricted circumstances such as professional advancement or recertification.  Special Student status is not granted to individuals wishing to enhance their application.

Special Student status does not ensure acceptance to a degree program.


Enrollment is limited to a maximum of 12 semester hours or enrollment of 3 terms, whichever comes first. A maximum of 12 credit hours earned as a Special Student may be applied as credit toward a degree if approved by the admitting program and College dean.


Credit earned as a Special Student may be petitioned to the counted toward a degree program provided the criteria for full standing admission is met at the time of admission. 


Special Students are not eligible for financial aid.


International students attending on an F1 visa are not eligible to enroll as a Special Student.




  1. Seek advisement from the college or program offering the course BEFORE applying as a Special Student as the application fee is non-refundable.
  2. Apply online at
  3. You may submit the PDF version of the enrollment form (included in application) via email or print and obtain approval signatures from the faculty.
  4. Mail an official transcript from last institution attended or institution with significant amount of course work to Admissions and Records, PO Box 26901, BSE 200, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73126-0901.  This step is not necessary if the last institution attended was OU Norman or the OU Health Sciences Center.