Parent Page: Current Students id: 2464 Active Page: Statusid:2495


Change of Address

All international students and other non-immigrants are now required to update INS of any change of address. You must notify the international advisor office within 10 days of any change of address.  Failure to do so will be considered a violation of your student status. 

Please note that the address must be your physical, residential address, not a P.O. Box. Also, it is extremely important that you give your correct current residential address to Admissions & Records (you may give a P.O. Box to A&R for receiving mail, but you also must give them your local, residential address). You also must update your address while on Optional Practical Training. All OUHSC students may send and email, letter or call Admissions and Records to update this information..

Employment Authorization

  • On Campus Employment: Students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time in summer (if the department allows). On campus work authorization is given by the university. Students must maintain the minimum required GPA and must maintain legal status to continue an on campus job.
  • Off Campus Employment due to economic hardship: Students who experience an unexpected economic difficulty may apply for off campus work permission after being enrolled, in good standing for one academic year. Students must submit the application to the International Advisor for review. If approved, it is then mailed to INS in Mesquite, Texas. If INS approves the EAD (employment authorization document), it will be mailed to the student and is valid for up to one year. You may work 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters and full time during vacations.
  • You may not work off campus without an EAD card. A Social Security card alone does not allow you to work off campus.
  • Curricular Practical Training: This type of employment is for students who have an internship that is required for their degree program. You must be enrolled in an internship course for credit that meets graduation requirements. CPT is authorized only one semester at a time by the International Advisor. It may be full or part time. If it is part time, you also must be enrolled in other courses. The work authorization is proceeded by the International Advisor at the university. You do not need to apply to the INS office for a permit. This is the only type of off-campus employment that does not require application to INS.
  • Optional Practical Training: You may receive up to one year of full time OPT to work in your field after completing each degree level. You must submit your application to the International Advisor for review. It will be mailed to the Texas INS office. They will issue an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card. You may apply for OPT 60-90 days before your completion date (graduation).
  • While on OPT, you must notify the Office of Admissions and Records of any address change within 10 days. You must also notify us if you stop working and you do not plan to resume employment before your OPT ends.

Extension of Stay

An international student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the I-20, must apply for a program extension. You will need to notify the Office of Admissions and Records at least one month prior to the term for which your I-20 expires. Valid reasons for an extension would include academic reasons, such as change of major or program, or significant and documented medical issues. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not considered valid reasons to extend a program.

F-2 Status

International dependents in F-2 status can engage in study at an SEVP-certified school in the United States as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study.  The F-2 dependent must contact the Admissions and Records International Advisor prior to admissions to complete the Affidavit for Study in F-2 Status form.  F-2 students can still participate up to full-time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. 

An F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full time must apply through the Admissions and Records International Advisor to obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 before beginning full time study.