Parent Page: Current Students id: 2464 Active Page: Resourcesid:2497


Student Health Plan

Since Fall 2001, all OUHSC students are required to have health insurance while attending the OUHSC Campus.  You may either participate in the student sponsored health insurance policy, Academic Health Plans, or show proof of acceptable insurance coverage by a recognized health insurance provider to your college Student Service Office.  A student who is found to be uninsured will receive notification from OUHSC Student Affairs and their academic dean’s office. 

Enrollment forms and the Summary of Benefits for the Academic Health Plans Insurance Policy are linked below for your use.  You may obtain a hard copy of the complete information packet from the Student Services Office in your College, or from the OUHSC Student Affairs in the David L. Boren Student Union, Suite 300.  Questions regarding specific coverage or conditions should be directed to Academic Health Plans. 

Social Security Number Information

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student who needs to apply for a Social Security number please review the Social Security Administration Office Information below.

Address: 12301 N. Kelley Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73131
Phone: 1-866-331-2207; TTY: 1-800-325-0778

Office Hours: 9:00am – 4:00pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; 
           9:00am-12:00pm Wednesday (closed  weekends and Federal Holidays)

Documents required to apply for a Social Security Number:
I-94 card
Social Security request letter from your employer and signed by an international advisor

Students should wait to apply for a Social Security Number until they have been in the U.S. for at least 10 business days to allow time for their arrival information to be transmitted to the Social Security Administration’s database.

Income Tax Information

Foreign National Income Tax Information and Assistance
For any period you live in the U.S., you are subject to report earnings and pay taxes to the federal and state government.  depending on your U.S. tax status, you are required to report on your U.S. income only or your worldwide income.

How does payroll tax withholding work? The employer withholds tax from your earnings and remits it to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and to the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC). Employees submit form W-4 to the employer to direct the amount of tax withheld. For other types of income a set percentage of tax withholding is used per IRS instructions.

If the amount withheld for taxes is more than the amount required to be paid (tax liability) for the year, you are entitled to a refund.

Individual Income Tax returns, Annual Forms To Submit 
Refunds are issued by the IRS and OTC after you file (submit) your individual income tax returns (forms). Whether you are due a refund, owe tax, or have neither a tax refund nor owe tax, you must file your individual federal income tax return with the IRS and a state income tax return with the OTC by April 15th of each year.

If you have no income and you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes in F or J status, you are required to file form 8843 ( by June 15th of each year.  Note – the deadline is April 15 if you are required to file a federal tax return.

If you are not a nonresident alien for tax purposes, you file income tax returns similar to a U.S. citizen. Be sure you know your tax status for each calendar (tax) year. Tax status has no relation to immigration status. Tax status (nonresident alien or resident alien for tax purposes) dictates the type of income tax forms IRS requires you to prepare each year. Filing the correct type of income tax return can affect future immigration proceedings.

For information on the nonresident alien tax program or questions on tax status, contact the OUHSC Foreign National Tax accountant B.J. Loving at or (405) 271-2055.

Employee earnings and taxes withheld are reported by your employer to the IRS and OTC.  These same earnings and taxes withheld for the calendar year are mailed to you by your employer on what is called a Form W-2. By the end of January, you will receive a Form W-2 for the preceding calendar year.  You will need this form to prepare your individual income tax returns. If you worked for more than one institution during January through December, you will need a W-2 form from each employer.


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States 

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services 

A new, dynamic website that serves as a clearinghouse of information aimed at helping international students and academic officials navigate the international student process.

Converters and Calculators

Currency converter
Free currency converter lets you calculate currency and foreign exchange rates.

The world clock - time zones
The World Clock shows current local time in cities and countries in all time zones.

Date calculator
This calculator tool will enable you to add or subtract days, weeks, months, and years from a given date.