Parent Page: Current Students id: 2464 Active Page: Immigrationid:2494


Immigration Documents (Passport & I-94)

Please make sure that your I-20 and passport are valid at all times. If your I-20 will expire but you will not be finished with your program, please make an appointment with the International advisor to request an extension of your I-20 at least one month prior to the term for which your I-20 expires. An expired I-20 is considered a violation of your immigration status in the U.S. If you change your major or lose your I-20, you should report that immediately to the OUHSC International advisor. 

Your passport should always be valid at least 6 months into the future. An expired passport is considered a violation of your legal status in the U.S. You may renew your passport through the consulate of your country here in the U.S. Consulate information may be found at  U.S. Custom and Border Protection (CBP) no longer processes Form I-94 Arrival/Departure white cards; your arrival I-94 is available online.  If you are traveling abroad, you may encounter these changes when you come back to the U.S. More information is available on their website at:

Your visa is an entrance documentIf it expires, you are still in legal status as long as you are enrolled in school or on practical training. If you leave the U.S. and your visa has expired, you must apply for a new visa before returning to the U.S. It is not possible to apply for a new student visa inside the U.S. We recommend you always carry a copy of your I-20, I-94 card,  and passport with you aall times, even in Oklahoma City. Additionally, we recommend that you carry the original documents with you when you travel outside of Oklahoma City.

Important Immigration TIPS

When planning a trip outside the U.S., foreign student will need to come by the Admissions and Records International Office for travel documents.  You must have a current transcript, projected enrollment, and the 2nd page of your I-20 signed by the International Advisor before leaving the country. 

Contact your International Advisor to request permission to enroll less than full-time. You must meet the reduced course load requirements.

DO NOT work off-campus without proper INS permission. 

Notify your International Advisor for a program extension at least one month prior to the term for which your I-20 expires.

It is recommended you apply for Optional Practical Training BEFORE graduation.

Report your address changes within 10 days to the International Advisor or in SEVIS.


  • You must have your valid passport, VISA, and I-20 signed on page 2.
  • The international advisor recommends you also carry the following items:
    • Student ID Card
    • Current Financial Statement
    • Pre-enrollment receipt from registrar's office
    • an unofficial or official transcript
  • Arrive at the OKC airport at least 2 hours before your flight.
  • Arrive at airports for international flights at least 3 hours early.

After you return from any trips abroad, please bring your passport with new I-94 card to the Admissions and Records International Office. We will need to make copies of the new I-94 and new VISA (if applicable) for your file.

VISA processing times may be quite lengthy in some countries. We highly recommend that you meet with an International Advisor before your travel.