Change of Address

All international students and other non-immigrants are now required to update INS of any change of address. You must notify the international student office within 10 days of any change of address.  Failure to do so will be considered a violation of your student status. 

Please note that the address must be your physical, residential address, not a P.O. Box. Also, it is extremely important that you give your correct current residential address to our Registrar’s Office. (You may give a P.O. Box to A&R for receiving mail, but you must also give them your local, residential address.) You must also continue to update your address while on Practical Training. All OUHSC students are on SEVIS may write, email or call-in the change to the Regulatory Office (LIB 121).

Employment Authorization

  • On Campus Employment: Students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time in summer (if the department allows). On-campus work authorization is given by the university. Students must maintain the minimum required GPA and must be legal status to continue a campus job.
  • Off-Campus Employment due to economic hardship. Students who experience an unexpected economic difficulty may apply for off-campus work permission after being enrolled in good status for one academic year. Students must submit the application to the International advisor for review. If approved, it is then mailed to INS in Mesquite, Texas. If INS approves the EAD (employment authorization document), it will be mailed to the student and is good for up to one year. You may work 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters and fulltime during vacations.
  • You may not work off-campus without the proper work permit. A Social Security card alone does not allow you to work off-campus.
  • Curricular Practical Training. This type of employment is for those who have an internship as part of their degree program. You must be enrolled in an internship course for credit that meets a graduation requirement. CPT is authorized only one semester at a time by the international advisor. It may be full or part-time. If it is part-time, you must also be enrolled in other courses. The work authorization is done by a DSO at the university. You do not need to apply to the INS office for a permit. This is the only type of off-campus employment that does not require application to INS.
  • Optional Practical Training. You may receive up to one year of full-time OPT after completing each degree level to work in your field. You must submit your application to the immigration officer for review. It will be mailed to the Texas INS office. They will issue you an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) card. You may apply for OPT 60-90 days before your completion date (graduation).
  • While on OPT, you must still notify the Office of Admissions and Records (LIB 121) of any address change within 10 days. You must also notify us if you stop working and you do not plan to resume employment before your OPT ends.

Extension of Stay

An international student who is “currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the I-20 must apply for a program extension.” You will need to notify the Office of Admissions and Records before your I-20 expires. Valid reasons for an extension would include academic reasons, such as change of major or program, or significant and documented medical issues. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not considered valid reasons to extend a program.

F-2 Status

International dependents in F-2 status can engage in study at an SEVP-certified school in the United States as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study.  The F-2 dependent must contact the Admissions and Records International Advisor prior to admissions to complete the Affidavit for Study in F-2 Status form.  F-2 can still participate up to full-time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. 

An F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a course of academic or vocational study must apply for and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 before beginning full-time study through the Admissions and Records International Advisor.