U.S. Military and Uniformed Service Members

Active Uniformed Service/Discharged or Released from Active Uniformed Service for whom Oklahoma is the Home of Record

A member of the U.S. Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Public Health Service) who provides evidence that he or she is full-time active duty stationed in Oklahoma is immediately eligible for in-state status for tuition purposes without meeting other domiciliary requirements listed in the policy. Eligibility extends to the members' spouse and dependent children.

Further, when a member of the U.S. Armed Forces is transferred out-of-state, the member (along with his or her spouse and dependent children) is eligible to retain his or her in-state classification as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled.  “Full-Time Active Duty” for the purposes of this policy, are members of the uniformed services who are on active duty for a period of more than 30 days (means active duty under a call or order that does not specify a period of 30 days or less). Personnel and their spouse and dependent children may be classified upon admission as in-state as long as they are continuously enrolled. Uniformed Services does not include full-time National Guard duty.

Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)

A student who is participating in or has received a partial or full scholarship from the Air Force, Army, or the Navy/Marines ROTC is eligible for in-state status with valid documentation.

Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act

Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 requires schools to bill eligible individuals using Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill or Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill at the in-state tuition rate if they meet the requirements of the law, even when they are defined by the school as an out-of-state resident for tuition purposes.  The bill went into effect July 1, 2015.  To be eligible for the Choice Act for tuition purposes, students must meet the requirements of the law and submit supporting documents to the Office of Admissions and Records outlined below. 


  1. Reside in Oklahoma while attending OUHSC.
  2. Submit a letter of intent to establish residence in the state.
  3. Submit a Certificate of Eligibility with entitlement for one of the bills below:
    1. Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty),
    2. Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill (Veteran),
    3. Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill ([1]Dependent – “Transfer of Entitlement”).
  4. Provide a form DD214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty showing the applicant meets the following conditions
    1. The Uniformed Service Member must have been discharged within the past [2]five years.
    2. The active duty period prior to discharge must have been greater than 90 days.

Mail, fax, or scan required documents to:

                       OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records

                       Attn: Admission Officer

                       PO Box 26901, BSEB-200

                       Oklahoma City, OK  73126


                       FAX: 405-271-2480


Individuals who meet the requirements will maintain in-state resident status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at OUHSC, even if the term of benefits expires or educational assistance is exhausted under Chapter 30 or 33.


The complete policy and information is located online at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (Section 3.17.7 A, B).


[1] Expanded to align with Oklahoma Senate Bill 138.  It entitles assistance by virtue of a relationship as a spouse or dependent child who is receiving VA educational assistance as described.
[2] Expanded to align with Oklahoma Senate Bill 138.