Immigration Documents (Passport & I-94)

Please make sure that your I-20 and passport are valid at all times. If you’re I-20 will expire and you will not be finished with your program, please come to the International advisor to request an extension of your I-20 at least one month before your I-20 expires. An expired I-20 is considered a violation of your immigration status in the U.S. If you change your major or lose your I-20, you should report that immediately to the OUHSC immigration officer. 

Your passport should always be at least 6 months into the future. An expired passport is considered a violation of your legal status in the US. You may renew your passport through the consulate of your country here in the US. Consulate information may be found at The U.S. Custom and Border Protection (CBP) no longer process Form 1-94 Arrival/Departure white card; your arrival I-94 is available on line.  If you are traveling abroad, you may encounter these changes when you come back to the U.S. More information is available on their website at:

Your VISA is an entrance documentIf it expires, you are still in legal status as long as you are enrolled in school or on practical training. If you leave the U.S. and your VISA has expired, you must apply for a new visa before returning to the U.S. It is not possible to apply for a new student VISA inside of the U.S. We recommend that you always carry a copy of your I-20, I-94 card and passport with you aall times, even in Oklahoma City. Additionally, we recommend that you carry the original documents with you when you travel outside of Oklahoma City.


Important Immigration TIPS

When planning a trip out-of-the-country, foreign student will need to come by the Admissions and Records International Office for travel documents.  We want you to have a current transcript, projected enrollment and the International Advisor will need to sign the 2nd page of your I-20 before leaving the country. 

Contact your International Advisor to request permission to enroll less than full-time if there is a very good reason.

DO NOT work off-campus without proper INS permission. 

Notify your International Advisor for Program Extensions prior to the program end date on your I-20.

Recommend applying for Optional Practical Training BEFORE graduation.

Report your address changes within 10 days to the International Advisor.


  • You must have your valid passport, VISA, and I-20 signed on page 2.
  • The international advisor recommends you also carry the following items:
    • Student ID Card
    • Current Financial Statement
    • Pre-enrollment receipt from registrar's office
    • an unofficial or official transcript
  • Arrive at the OKC airport at least 2 hours before your flight.
  • Arrive at airports for international flights at least 3 hours early.

After you return from any vacations, please bring your passport with new I-94 card to the Admissions and Records International Office. We will need to make copies of the new I-94 and new VISA (if you received one) for your file.

VISA processing times may be quite long in some countries. We highly recommend that you meet with an international advisor before your travel.